Tuesday, August 18, 2015
08:30 AM - 11:45 AM
|Level: ||Technical - Introductory|
Apache HBase is used by Facebook, Apple, eBay and hundreds of other enterprises to store, analyze and profit from their petabyte-scale volume of data. This tutorial session will be a hand-on experience where basic concepts of non-relational database will be explored while working through a simple real-world example in Apache HBase. To get most out of this session, participants are encouraged to bring a laptop.
During the session we will discuss several topics:
- Brief history and motivation of Apache Hadoop and Apache HBase projects
- High-level introduction to Apache HBase API, architecture and abstractions
- Hands-on experience using a simple schema from a real-world example
- How to determine whether Hadoop and HBase are the right set of tools for your needs
- Examples of real-world use cases
- Commonly-used architecture patterns, abstracted out from recurrent themes seen in uses of HBase in enterprises
- The Apache Hadoop ecosystem including a high-level overview of how projects like MapReduce, Spark, OpenTSDB, Phoenix and others augment the uses and functionalities of HBase
Apekshit Sharma is a distributed software engineer at Cloudera, where he works on Apache HBase project. Prior to Cloudera, he earned his B.Tech in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IITB) and was a software engineer at Google where he extensively worked with technologies like Map-Reduce, Bigtable, Millwheel, etc.
Dima Spivak is a Software Engineer in Test, where he works on Apache HBase in particular and test frameworks in general. Before joining Cloudera, Dima was a Research Assistant in the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Minnesota, where he received his MS in Physics.