Thursday, August 20, 2015
01:00 PM - 04:15 PM
|Level: ||Technical - Intermediate|
In this tutorial you’ll learn how to use Apache Drill, the open source, distributed, schema-free SQL engine. Drill enables SQL-based analytics and BI on MongoDB, HBase and other NoSQL databases. At the end of this tutorial, you’ll be able to explore and analyze your NoSQL data in situ with standard SQL queries and BI tools such as Tableau, MicroStrategy, Qlikview, Spotfire and Excel.
- Hello World!
- Data Model and Data Types
- Data Sources: Storage Plugin Architecture; Using Storage Plugins; Navigating the Namespace; HBase; MongoDB
- Metadata in Drill: Decentralized Metadata; Optional Schemas; Information Catalog
- Exploring, Analyzing and Transforming Data: Exploration (SELECT) LIMIT 10 and Drill Explorer); Analysis (SELECT); Transformation (CREATE TABLE AS)
- Using Virtual Datasets (Views): Why Virtual Datasets?; Creating Virtual Datasets (CLI and Drill Explorer); Virtual Dataset Internals (.drill); How Virtual Datasets are Exposed
- APIs: ODBC; JDBC; REST; C; Java
- Clients: CLI; BI (Excel, Tableau, etc.); Python (PyData, Pandas); R
- Querying Complex and/or Schemaless Data: Handling Schemaless Data; Traditional BI on Complex Data
Note that this is a hands-on tutorial, so attendees will benefit from having their own laptop as they'll be able to run all the examples throughout the tutorial.
Tomer is the CEO and co-founder of Dremio. He is also the founder of the open source Apache Drill project. Prior to Dremio, he was VP Product at MapR, where he was responsible for product strategy, roadmap and new feature development. As a member of the executive team, Tomer helped grow the company from 5 employees to over 300 employees and 700 enterprise customers. Prior to MapR, Tomer held numerous product management and engineering positions at Microsoft and IBM Research. He holds an MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University and a BS in Computer Science from Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, as well as 5 US patents.
Jacques is the CTO and co-founder of Dremio. He is also the founding PMC Chair of the open source Apache Drill project, spearheading the project's technology and community. Prior to Dremio, he was the architect and engineering manager for Drill and other distributed systems technologies at MapR. In addition, Jacques was CTO and co-founder of YapMap, an enterprise search startup, and held engineering leadership roles at Quigo (AOL), Offermatica (ADBE) and aQuantive (MSFT).